- Over one hundred articles, chapters or essays
- Nine books for librarians and teachers about connecting young adults and libraries/reading
- Eight young adult novels including YALSA Quick Pick and Buckeye Book Award runner-up Things Change.
- Two non-fiction books for young readers about people punching (or pretending to punch) each other in the face
- Over twenty books (with many more to come) written for teens who don’t like to read, but I plan to change that by providing fast-paced books with lots of action (and people punching and kicking each other in the face) including the Junior Library Guild selection Head Kick
In 2006, I won lifetime achievement awards from both the Catholic Library Association, and the American Library Association. I am a frequent speaker at library conferences, having visited all fifty states, as well as in Canada, Singapore, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand. I grew up in Flint, Michigan, but now live in Minneapolis, Minnesota.